As you might have read, a good time was had by all Saturday night. There was a game, too, by the way, and thanks to an extra ticket from Pat I was able to join him and see it live and in person. I would have made this post yesterday, but Pat and myself left the game near the end of the 3rd quarter and I wanted to get the chance to see what I missed in the 4th quarter before I commented. It wasn’t the most exciting game, and not much happened, so I’m just going to give a few brief thoughts:
- Gary Russell looked good again. I don’t know if we can keep both Russell and Carey Davis on the roster, but if I had to choose one I’d choose Russell.
- Hopefully, Chris Hoke’s injury isn’t serious. He’s pretty much the only depth behind Casey Hampton.
- I’m still a little pissed over Santonio Holmes not starting. He needs to get some work with Ben, and right now the majority of his work is coming with St. Pierre. He wasn’t even cracking the 3 WR sets with the first team. To me, this is inexcusable.
- The defensive backs were playing much more press coverage. In previous years it seemed like they would always line up 5-10 yards off the receiver.
- The offensive line is still sorting itself out. Starks again looked bad at left tackle. I thought Colon looked good. Mahan vs. Okobi seems like a wash. As of now, my preference for the O-Line, left to right, would be: Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, Colon
- There is very little depth at defensive end. Other than Kirschke, who’s decent, the cupboard is bare. McBean and Eason have been invisible these first two games.
- I really like the safeties on this team. Troy, Smith, Clark, and Carter can all ball. Clark was particularly impressive on Saturday night.
Again, your comments about the game are encouraged.
End of Post